Everyone is welcome.
Located in the east-end of St. John’s on the corner of Portugal Cove Road and MacDonald Drive, Bethesda is a multi-ethnic church that offers an environment to help individuals take their next step in their faith journey. We are committed to providing our community with a place to belong, opportunities to navigate faith with others, grow in their relationship with Christ, to be generous and serve the world around us.
We offer a variety of opportunities for individuals, families, and the community. If you’re wondering what is available for you, let’s connect.
We Believe That…
the Bible is the inspired and only infallible and authoritative Word of God.
there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His personal future return to this earth in power and glory to rule a thousand years.
in the Blessed Hope – the Rapture of the Church at Christ’s coming.
the only means of being cleansed from sin is through repentance and faith in the precious blood of Christ.
regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
in Water Baptism by immersion for believers according to Matthew 28:19.
in observance of the Lord’s Supper in remembrance of the death of our Lord as outlined in 1 Corinthians 11:23-32.
the redemptive work of Christ on the Cross provides healing of the human body in answer to believing prayer.
the baptism of the Holy Spirit , according to Acts 2:4, is given to believers who ask for it.
in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a holy life.
in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting damnation.
In October 1908 Miss Alice B. Garrigus, a former teacher in the United States, was attending camp meetings in the town of Rumney, New Hampshire. She felt a definite call to go to Newfoundland to preach the gospel, a place totally unknown to her.
Accompanied by Rev. & Mrs. William D. Fowler, Miss Garrigus arrived in St. John’s on December 1, 1910, and shortly thereafter obtained a building at 207 New Gower Street. On Easter Sunday 1911, the doors were opened to the public for the first time at what was called the “Bethesda Mission”.
In 1963, under the leadership of Pastor G.B. Harnum, the board and congregation of Bethesda realized the need for larger facilities; thus, they purchased land on Aldershot Street. The building was completed and officially opened in November 1964.
Again in 1978, under the leadership of Pastor R.E. Osmond, the board and congregation of Bethesda decided to take a step of faith and extend their facilities by beginning construction of a new facility on MacDonald Drive. Upon completion, the “new” Bethesda Church was dedicated to the glory of God and to the extension of His Kingdom in November 1979.
In 1998, under the leadership of Pastor W.S. Potter, the board and congregation of Bethesda purchased the lot adjacent to the church on the corner of Portugal Cove Road and MacDonald Drive and built an extension onto the facility in response to congregational growth. In September 1999 due to rapid growth and limitations in the building size, it was felt that the church would hold two concurrent Sunday morning services to accommodate all those who wished to attend.
In 2004, under the leadership of Pastor G. Winsor, the board and congregation of Bethesda realized the need for larger facilities to meet the continued demands of growth within the various ministries of the church. Construction began in the Spring to build another extension onto the existing facility, which included a large multi-purpose room, larger classrooms, an enlarged sanctuary, and an office complex. An official dedication of this new Bethesda took place in the Fall of 2005.
Bethesda is affiliated with the Pentecostal Assemblies of Newfoundland and Labrador.