In October 1908 Miss Alice B. Garrigus, a former teacher in the United States, was attending camp meetings in the town of Rumney, New Hampshire. She felt a definite call to go to Newfoundland to preach the gospel, a place totally unknown to her.

Accompanied by Rev. & Mrs. William D. Fowler, Miss Garrigus arrived in St. John’s on December 1, 1910, and shortly thereafter obtained a building at 207 New Gower Street. On Easter Sunday 1911, the doors were opened to the public for the first time at what was called the “Bethesda Mission”.

In 1963, under the leadership of Pastor G.B. Harnum, the board and congregation of Bethesda realized the need for larger facilities; thus, they purchased land on Aldershot Street. The building was completed and officially opened in November 1964.

Again in 1978, under the leadership of Pastor R.E. Osmond, the board and congregation of Bethesda decided to take a step of faith and extend their facilities by beginning construction of a new facility on MacDonald Drive. Upon completion, the “new” Bethesda Church was dedicated to the glory of God and to the extension of His Kingdom in November 1979.

In 1998, under the leadership of Pastor W.S. Potter, the board and congregation of Bethesda purchased the lot adjacent to the church on the corner of Portugal Cove Road and MacDonald Drive and built an extension onto the facility in response to congregational growth. In September 1999 due to rapid growth and limitations in the building size, it was felt that the church would hold two concurrent Sunday morning services to accommodate all those who wished to attend.

In 2004, under the leadership of Pastor G. Winsor, the board and congregation of Bethesda realized the need for larger facilities to meet the continued demands of growth within the various ministries of the church. Construction began in the Spring to build another extension onto the existing facility, which included a large multi-purpose room, larger classrooms, an enlarged sanctuary, and an office complex. An official dedication of this new Bethesda took place in the Fall of 2005.

On Easter Sunday 1911, the doors were opened to the public for the first time at what was called the “Bethesda Mission”.